Call 561.310.0061 or 561.248.3722
Ansley & Jay Ellmyer
9 - 10
What To Do
You will likely want to spend all your time on your own private beach at Summer Breeze Beach Villa! However, if you want to go exploring, there are several excursions at your disposal:
Visit beautiful Harbor Island for the day!
• Here are a few ways to get there:
• Take the Bo Hengy ferry which leaves at 10:00am and returns at 3:00pm.
• Take Bahamas Ferries to Jean’s Bay for a short taxi drive to Harbor Island.
• Rent a golf cart and enjoy shopping and restaurants.
Spend the day at Preacher's Cave!
• Use our Villa bikes to ride to Bahamas Ferries and take them over to Jean’s Bay,
• Take a beautiful 3 mile bike ride to Preacher's Cave. Spend the day exploring the caves and beautiful beach.
(Make sure to pack a lunch and bring a towel.)
Other Eleuthera Excursion Information:
• Find more caves further down on Eleuthera.
• Glass Window Bridge is approximately an hour south.
• Rent a car on Eleuthera to explore the town.
• Taxi Service: David Pinder, Taxi 146
Spanish Wells has beautiful white sand beaches, water so clear you can see your shadow on the bottom, and is a fantastic area for snorkeling and fishing. The small island is the lobster fishing capital of the Caribbean and boasts world-class bone fishing on the flats surrounding the island. The beautiful barrier reef, Devil’s Backbone, is inhabited with an abundance of marine life. Here are the opportunities at your disposal:
Fishing Rods: We have several rods at the Villa for your use.
Tackle: Visit Island Tackle, located on 28th Street (3 blocks from Summer Breeze).
Tips for fishing in Spanish Wells:
• Boat Rental: You may choose to rent a boat ($100 per day, plus gas) from our Villa Caretaker, Johnny Underwood. This is the best deal on the island! Johnny has a variety of 19 foot open-center console boats. (Make sure to learn the waters in the area before venturing out.)
• Fishing Guide: You may also hire a guide for off-shore fishing for large game fish, or bottom fishing for grouper and snapper. There are also several bone fishing guides available for the flats. We have provided fishing guides for you at the Villa.
• Spear Fishing: You can also hire a guide for spear fishing. (Note: Spear guns are illegal. Instead, you will learn to use a Hawaiian Sling.) Visit the dive shop on the island, where you can purchase a sling and request more information about spear fishing.
• Fresh Fish: If you want to purchase fresh fish, go see “Bernard” on the Harbor side, around 30th street. He comes in at approximately 2:30 every day, and fillets his fresh catch for a fair price. (One of the many benefits of a small, local beach community!)
OTHER OCEAN ACTIVITIES:
Kayaking: We provide three kayaks at the Villa, including 1 two-person kayak and 2 one-person kayaks). The area behind the Villa is beautiful for kayaking!
Shelling: Take a trip to Egg Island for awesome shelling. The south side of the island has a beautiful beach for picnics, and the west side has great shells. It takes about 20 minutes to get there via boat.
Jumping off the Bridge: The bridge between Spanish Wells and Russell Island is a favorite spot for kids and adults to jump into the gorgeous water!
Snorkeling: There are several great snorkeling spots around the island. You can ask our caretaker or one of the fishing guides for the best spots. (Note: We recommend bringing your own gear. We do have some gear at the Villa, but do not guarantee the condition.)
Beaching: The beach behind Summer Breeze is the best beach on the island! You can walk out 100 yards in knee to waist deep water at low tide. The water is crystal clear! We provide plenty of beach towels, beach chairs, beach toys for the kids, and an umbrella for shade.
Kite Boarding: If you are a Kite boarder, bring your gear! There are also lessons available on the island.